Sunday 26 May 2013

Music Portraiture Research Into Clients - Sam

Sam is a drummer who plays rock and metal music and wants a location photo-shoot, he wants a peaceful and calm type of photo with his whole drum kit in the picture. He specifically wants the photo to be taken outside, in a field and if possible in the dark so all the focus is on him and the drum kit; he also wants to look very laid back just with his drum kit; something very similar to the picture of the drummer Matt Greiner (left). Unfortunately it is a bit difficult to get a good picture in a field and the background be as dark as he wants as I don't have access to any portable lights to light everything up so I suggested a couple of ideas: I could either take a photo of him in a studio and use Photoshop to superimpose the grass on the picture, however this would not look very professional. My other idea is to go and take the photos in a field but just after a sunset so there is enough light so that everything wont look to dark but so there is also no direct sunlight to make the photo look almost dark enough for Sams idea. Sam had found the perfect field in Needham Market for the photo shoot so that was to be the chosen location for it.
On the day of the photo shoot we had to wait until late afternoon for the sun to almost set. Shortly before this we had to set all the drum kit up of course, to do so we had to carry it all up a big hill to the field one bit at a time. Unfortunately this took longer than expected and we missed the sunset, luckily however though some mist was starting to come in so I started taking photos as soon as I could so I didn't miss it, as well as the little light we had left. The mist actually created a really nice effect and although it wasn't the intended effect, I think it looks really good.

This was the photo Sam chose to be his favourite (above). I took it into Photoshop and I brought the greens out more so that it would give it a more 'nature' looking theme to it, I then added a vignette around the edges to give it a bit more darkened look and make it look more professional. I am really pleased with how this picture turned out and Sam is extremely pleased with it as well, I really like how it looks like a sort of clash between him and his drum kit and nature but how it somehow looks like it should belong there. I have learned so much about location photo shoots and I now know what i'm capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment