Sunday 26 May 2013

Music Portraiture Research Into Clients - Ali

Ali is a guitarist who plays metal/industrial music. He wants studio based photo shoot and he wants a very 'so what' style of photo shoot. He wanted to look quite powerful and dark to relate with the style of the music he played. He wants a similar photo to the one of James Hetfield (left) where he is holding his guitar, looking quite powerful and dominating. Although he wanted it as a studio shoot instead of a live performance one. Some of my early ideas included having a low angle shot to try and make him look really dominating but I couldn't do this because the size of the backdrop didn't go high enough. I also had an idea of doing a shot down the guitar neck which was possible but I would have to crop the picture as some of the set would get in the shot.

During the photo shoot I decided to position the lighting to go with his idea for a powerful look, I exaggerated the shadows around his body a bit to fit with the dark feel of his genre of music. I took lots of shots of different angles, including the one looking down the guitar neck (right) and some looking down on top of him, however Ali decided on a straight shot of him and the guitar instead of any different angles as the final one (below).

After the photo-shoot I put the picture on Photoshop and edited various elements of it, using the 'curves' tool which, editing how I did, caused his face and jacket to become more pronounced and I lowered the brightness and contrast a bit as the light on his face was too bright. Overall I am happy with how the pictures for Ali have tuned out and so is he, I think I have done quite well considering I am quite new to studio based photography and I have learned a lot from this.

No comments:

Post a Comment